Saturday, November 7, 2009

Freeform beading

I've always loved freeform beading, but have been frightened to try it. I have beaded around cabs (that I've made with polymer clay) before, but nothing terribly freeform. Recently I took out some face cabs I've made and a few regular large ovals and decided to jump in. The first one I backed with a medium-stiff interfacing, but I find it too flexible and hard to hold taut. I'm also unhappy with the glue I used. I stopped in the middle and switched to a thicker fabric (I think it's buckram. It looks & feels like it, but it was in the remnant bin and unlabeled) for the second one. I hate to give up the work I've done on the first one, and considering that I need it done by Friday I will probably muddle through. I'm hoping the second one will work better.

This is all part of OUS for me, Operation Utilize Supplies. I'm using this new therapy to not only use up what I've got, but to try things I've been longing to try. Look for photos of the freeform stuff, and also of the studio as I excavate it over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment