Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Weaving

I have had a years-long unrequited love affair with weaving. From the time I first used a potholder loom as a little kid I've thought weaving was really cool. I own a beautiful Beka rigid heddle loom that I've rarely used due to space restraints, I also own a "belt loom" that will weave long and fairly narrow pieces of thread. Then there are all the knitting looms I have, but those are fodder for another post. ;-)

Since I don't yet have the space for my Beka (I'm working on it! I plan to put hooks on the wall so I can hang it when I'm not using it), I thought I might satisfy myself with a little pin weaving. I've looked at several tutorials, and instead of making an actual pin loom (that is suitable for embroidery thread and pearl cotton and such), I'm going to make myself a loom more suitable for my great love of Lily Sugar & Creme yarn. I have a lot that I need to use up, so I thought that making a bunch of squares with it might be really cool for scarves or shawls. I haven't decided what kind of warp I will use, but it needs to be something quite a bit finer and a neutral color. I'm sure I have plenty of something!

If it works, I'll provide a tutorial. Now, to find a piece of wood and some nails...

4 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention this. I'm interested in finding a small table loom to learn weaving. I've got a potholder loom (who doesn't) but I'd like to try something bigger, and was thinking of posting on FB for recommendations/sources. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is a Beka rigid heddle loom. I think it's a 24", and it came with a stand, but you can lean it against a table if you prefer. I loved it, I can't wait to get my room done and put a warp on. http://www.bekainc.com/buy/m1-07301/beka-original-rigid-heddle-loom-sg-series/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has anyone ever called you an enabler before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not! Heaven forbid. I'm no more an enabler than my darling husband is. *halo*

      Delete