Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Handmade Christmas

I just added my Handmade Christmas Artfire badge to this blog, and it's got me thinking - just how am I going to do that this year? It's easy to saturate your friends & family with handmade gifts, and there's always the danger that someone won't quite appreciate them. Not to mention the fact that (at least for me) it's just plain hard to make "guy gifts". Then add to that our paring down of the Christmas gift list, it gets harder and harder to figure out how. I've generally always defaulted to food, because that is a gift pretty much everyone cherishes, enjoys, and waits anxiously for next year to get again! I have a friend who makes handmade chocolates for his nearest and dearest. We love Tom for many, many reasons, but we adore him for those beautiful boxes of joy at Christmas. I like thinking that my friends say "I wonder if Teresa's going to make that heavenly pumpkin bread again this year..." I hope they do.

In the past I've done teabags of my specialty herbal tea in handpainted mugs, cookies, hot chocolate mix in jars with cross-stitched lid covers, the aforementioned pumpkin bread, cookies, and a variety of other treats. What's on my list this year? Probably pumpkin bread and cookies with my brand new $30 cookie press, acquired for $7 at Goodwill. Gabriel can help me decorate the cookies, and begin his introduction to Handmade Christmases. I hope it's an idea he embraces, and learns to put his particular spin on as he gets older.

So, how are you going to do your own handmade holiday this year? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Oh, and don't forget the giveaway that I posted about in my last blog entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment